Thursday, July 8, 2010

No justice. No peace?












At about 4:00 P.M. the verdict was announced: involuntary manslaughter. My eyes welled up, tears slowly rolled down my face. I cried, not because of the injustice of the verdict. I cried because, I am a mother. I can relate to Oscar Grant’s mother, Wanda Johnson. I have lost not one, but two children. Although my losses were not nearly as public, I can relate. A mother’s grief over the loss of a child is merciless. The process is strenuous, and Wanda Johnson had to experience that again today. My heart goes out to her because, I can relate. What happens now? You can’t help but to feel somewhat defeated. Visions of Rodney King. Visions of Amadou Diallo. Sean Bell. Ayanna Jones. Lovelle Mixon. The list can literally go on forever. But, after the protestors are gone. After the media has packed up their equipment and left the scene. After the police have made the last arrest for the night. After Johannes Mehserle is sentenced. After all is said and done, and after “normalcy” has set in a mother has lost her child, again. A daughter has lost her father, again. A community has lost a black man, again. What are the solutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment